Knee replacement surgery is an ideal example of how the medical world is continuously evolving in an effort to improve the surgical outcomes of patients. The research never stops and a reputable knee replacement doctor will always strive to sharpen their techniques and learn new approaches to the procedure.
When a patient is facing a procedure of this magnitude, both patients and doctors have to apply the knowledge available to make the most informed choices and achieve the best possible outcome. With that said, the following is a summary of the advantages associated with knee replacement surgery from our Bay Area orthopedic surgeon.
Advantages of Knee Replacement Surgery from a Bay Area Knee Injury Doctor
The following are some of the pros associated with partial knee replacement surgery:
- Newer surgical techniques also allow for much less blood loss, almost eliminating the need for post-operative blood transfusions.
- Newer anesthesia techniques provide local and regional numbing techniques that significantly reduce post-operative pain.
- Physical therapy now often starts on the same day as surgery, and patients begin exercising with a motion machine to move their knee immediately following the procedure.
- For some types of knee replacement, each patient has a custom template made for their own knee based on a pre-operative MRI so that custom jigs can be used during surgery.
- Partial knee replacement allows for smaller incisions, and patients go home the same day as surgery.
Other advantages of modern techniques of knee replacement surgery in general include:
- Improved range of motion
- Earlier return to activities
- Immediate physical therapy
- Smaller incisions
Another advantage closely linked to minimally invasive knee surgery involves a shorter hospital stay. In most cases, a patient normally has to stay in the hospital anywhere from 1-2 days, compared to 3-4 days for traditional, more invasive knee surgery.
Current improvements in surgical techniques and post operative pain management even allow some total knee replacement patients to go home the same day.
Learn More at Your Consultation with Dr. Jeffrey Halbrecht, Bay Area Orthopedic Surgeon
A patient considering any sort of knee surgery should first speak with their orthopedic surgeon to get a better understanding of the advantages and possible disadvantages of the procedure–particularly in regards to their knee anatomy, arthritis, lifestyle, and overall health. Contact the team at IASM today to set up a consultation with Dr. Jeffrey Halbrecht! We can be reached by phone at (415) 923-0944 or book online through our contact page here.